Programs & Events
Every month the library has a wide variety of programs for adults, teens, and children. Announcements and schedules for upcoming events may be found in our quarterly newsletter, in the library column of the weekly Mineola American newspaper, on the library’s lobby bulletin board, on take-home flyers in the Reference and Children’s Room, and online via our website’s events calendar.
Advance registration is required for some programs. Please call the Reference Desk (extension 2) or Children’s Room (extension 1) for information on any of our programs and events.
Some types of programs we offer include musical and theatrical performances, feature film showings, crafts, book discussion groups, informative lectures, defensive driving classes, story times, and play groups.
Reserve a Museum Pass for free admission to a variety of museums and gardens on Long Island and in New York City.
* All Museum/Garden passes are valid for at least 2 adults and 2 children. Some passes allow for more adults and/or children.
To Reserve A Pass:
- Reservationsfor museum passes can be made via our library’s website at www.mineolalibrary.info
- Or by telephone (516-746-8488 ext.2);
- Or in person at the Reference Desk.
A valid Mineola library card must be used at time of reservation. Passes may be reserved up to two months in advance. Only Mineola Library patrons (age 18+) with no outstanding fines may borrow the Museum Passes. A limit of 2 passes may be reserved within a 60 day period, and the same museum pass may be reserved only once in a 60 day period.
- Weekend Loan Period is for three days, pickup on Friday, and return by Sunday night in the drop box.
- Weekday Loan Period is for four days, pickup on Monday, and return before closing (9PM) Thursday.
To Cancel A Pass:
- Patrons must call the Reference Desk (516-746-8488 ext. 2) to Cancel or delay a pickup.
- Passes not picked up or cancelled in advance may result in the loss of borrowing privileges in the Museum Pass program.
Fines will be strictly enforced:
Overdue fine is $10.00 per day.
A Minimum of $50.00 may be charged for a lost pass (up to the cost of replacement).
We recommend that you call each museum or garden you are planning to visit prior to arriving to verify their hours of operation.
Long Island Children’s Museum
|Complimentary admission for up to 4 people. No adults without children or children unaccompanied by an adult will be admitted. Not valid for complimentary admission or discount for theater performances, workshops or special events.|
American Airpower Museum
|Free admission for 4 people; any combination of adults and children. If the pass is used during an event weekend when higher admission rates are in effect, the visitors may be asked to pay the difference in admission. Open Thursday through Sunday 10:30AM to 4:00PM (June to August till 5:00PM)|
Cradle of Aviation Museum
|Free admission for 2 adults and up to 2 children, 18 years and younger; Unlimited rides on the X-Ride; 15% discount for the museum store; discount in the Red Planet Cafe, discount on the purchase of Giant-screen, Nunley’s and additional gallery admission tickets.|
Old Bethpage Village Restoration
|Free admission for 4 visitors during normal museum hours. Not valid for complimentary or discounted admission to special events or programs. Open April through December. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.|
Old Westbury Gardens
|Free Admission to the House and Gardens for two adults and children; Ten percent discount at the Plant Shop and Gift Shop. Free parking. Evening programs incur additional charges. Open daily (except Tuesdays) late April through October 31.|
Vanderbilt Mansion, Planetarium, & Museum
|Free admission for 2 adults and 4 children to the museum grounds, exhibits and mansion tours, and all regularly scheduled planetarium astronomy shows and day & evening laser presentations. Also allows for a 10% discount at the gift shop.|
Nassau County Museum of Art
|Admission for two adults and up to four children for one museum visit. Not valid for Museum Special Events or Public Programs.|
Walt Whitman Birthplace
|Complimentary general admission for a family of four to the Birthplace and Interpretive Center and free viewing of art exhibits at The Gathering House.|
NYC & BRONX
New York Botanical Garden
|Pass admits 2 adults and children in household under 16 years of age and includes tram rides; A free parking pass will be included while supplies last (limited number available).|
Museum of the City of New York
|Unlimited free admission for 2 adults and up to 4 children. 10% discount in the Museum Shop and Café.|
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
|Free admission for 1 cardholder and three guests. Cardholder & guests may bypass ticket line. Pass also allows for a 10% discount in the museum shop.|
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
|Free admission for six (6) people total once per day.|
New-York Historical Society
|Free admission for 2 adults and children under 18 to the New-York Historical Society and the DiMenna Children’s History Museum. 10% discount in the Museum Shop and Caffe Storico.|
The Reference Desk librarians are available to answer your information needs via phone, in person, or via the library’s email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Senior Connections is our information referral service for older adults. Staffed by volunteers, the Senior Connections service is available Mondays from 3:30 to 5:30pm.
The library offers tax forms and seasonal AARP tax preparation services.
Homebound delivery service can be provided for the disabled.
Live Librarian – Professional Librarians are now available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your questions using special chat software on the Internet. It’s convenient. It’s easy. It’s free.
We are happy that you have chosen to become a member of the Mineola Memorial Library by applying for a library card. As we are a village library, our funding and management directly depends upon the Village of Mineola. Therefore, membership in the library is extended only to residents or property owners of Mineola. If you are a member of the Mineola School District you must also be a resident or property owner in Mineola to become a member.
Please fill out the top half of the application form and sign it.
- Present the completed application to the Circulation Desk along with 1 proof of identity, and 1 proof of residency. These proofs can be satisfied by showing:
Proof of Identity (showing photo and name):
· A current NY driver’s license, temporary license, non-driver’s ID, learner’s permit
· Passport, work ID, school ID
· Valid Mineola Leisure Pass
Proof of Residency (showing your name and Mineola address):
· The deed to a house if you are a homeowner, or a copy of your rental agreement.
· A current utility bill (gas, water, electric, phone).
· Official mail sent to you at your Mineola address from the Village or any government agency (tax bills, water bills, etc.).
· Current bank or credit card statements.
Property owners who are not residents may apply for a card upon presentation of a current tax bill or receipt. Patron’s library record will note that he or she is a taxpayer.
All information provided must be current and indicate your name and the Mineola residential property address only. We regret that Post Office Boxes are not acceptable to establish residency.
- Please fill out the top half of the application form with the child’s information and signature.
- The bottom section must be completed with the child’s birthdate and the parent/guardian information, internet authorization, and signature.
- Both the child and parent/guardian must be present when applying.
- Children must be at least 4 years old and able to write their first and/or last name.
- Parent/guardian must have a library card or be eligible to receive one and show proof of identity and residency.
The Mineola Library Card Application Form is available both online and at the Circulation Desk.