Please note that parents and guardians may register only their own children with their correct age and grade level for all programs. In-person registration is available in the Children’s Room.
You may register for children’s programs by contacting us in the Children’s Room by telephone: 516-746-8488 ext. 1 or by sending us a message:
PLEASE NOTE: A valid library card number is required for in-person, telephone, and e-mail registration. Please have your library card available. Preference is given to Mineola Library cardholders. All other library cardholders will be placed on a waiting list.
BORROW A DOLL!
Ages 5 years and up
Know Before You Borrow A Doll!
- Dolls are checked out and returned ONLY to the Mineola Children’s Desk. DO NOT put dolls in the book drop, return to another library, or return to the Circulation Desk.
- If the doll you want is checked out, we can add your name to a waiting list and contact you when the doll is returned.
- Dolls are available for checkout on an adult Mineola Library card. An adult must be present to check out a doll. These dolls are for children ages 5 years and up.
- The borrowing period for each doll is one week (7 days) and there are no renewals. Late fees are $5.00 per day.
- The borrower assumes full responsibility for the condition of the dolls. The full cost of the dolls, traveling case, and accessories are included inside the case. The borrower will be charged the full cost of the dolls, travelling case, and accessories in the event of any damage or loss.
- Each kit includes: a carrying case, folding bed with bedding, one doll, the first book about the character, a journal, a booklet of Mineola during that doll’s time period, and an information sheet.
- The doll should be returned in the same condition as received: clothes on doll, hair as neat as possible, and carefully packed and organized.
- Please DO NOT: Cut or shampoo the doll’s hair (it can become damaged), wash the doll or clothes, and mend clothes or doll.
We do take donations of like-new or used-but-in-good-condition American Girl dolls. Dolls received will become the property of the Mineola Memorial Library. All donations are tax deductible! Please contact the Children’s Room if you would like to donate or if you have any questions: 516-746-8488 ext. 1 or email@example.com
1,000 Books B4 Kindergarten Challenge – The “1,000 Books B4 Kindergarten” challenge is a new library program that encourages all families to read at least 1,000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten. Reading to preschool age children, in as little as 15 minutes a day, builds vocabulary, language skills, and helps prepare them with the skills needed for kindergarten. Pick up a free reading log at the Children’s Desk and start recording your reading with your child. Each time you reach a reading milestone, bring in your reading log to collect a prize! Open to children ages birth through entering kindergarten.
500 Books B4 Middle School Challenge – Can you read 500 books before you enter middle school? Take the challenge and get a prize for every 100 books you read, up to 500 books! Logs are available at the Children’s Desk. Every time you reach a 100-book reading milestone, bring in your log to collect a prize! Open to children in kindergarten to entering 5th grade.
100 Books B4 High School Challenge – Can you read 100 books before you enter high school? Take the challenge and get a prize for every 20 books you read, up to 100 books! Logs are available at the Children’s Desk. Every time you reach a 20-book reading milestone, bring in your log to collect a book prize! When you reach 100 books, win a journal to start your high school journey.
TumbleBook Library – animated, talking picture books online! Read or listen to them in English, Chinese, French, or Spanish!
Sesame Street.org – access Sesame Street eBooks, audio eBooks, interactive and animated eBooks! The Sesame Street eBook Reader displays eBook content in your Internet browser just like it appears in a printed book.
Mineola Union Free School District – Mineola public schools.
New York Times Children’s Bestseller List – list of bestselling children’s and young adult books.
Kindergarten Readiness Handout
This was compiled by the Long Island Pre-K Initiative. It is available in multiple languages.
Spanish: KindergartnersNeedtoKnow_Spanish (1)
Turkish: KindergartnersNeedtoKnow_Turkish (1)