The Mineola Memorial Library offers several volunteer opportunities for teenage students attending middle school or high school:
Adopt-A-Shelf Volunteers-Organized and detail-oriented volunteers in grades 6-12 are welcome to apply at the Children’s Desk to be an “adopt-a-shelf” volunteer. Volunteers will be responsible for keeping a section of the Children’s Room book collection in alphabetical or numerical order on a weekly basis. Hours are flexible and volunteers will earn volunteer/community credit. Please fill out an application, and 2-hour time slots will be available if you are accepted into the program.
(Cook)Book Buddies-Volunteers entering grades 6-12 read to children, set up materials for and make edible food crafts with children each week for one hour, and commit to at least two sessions to receive community credit. (Cook)Book Buddies volunteer positions are only available during the summer.
Toy Paramedics Volunteers-Volunteer to help keep the library’s toddler toys clean and in tip-top shape. Sign up for one or more hour time slots at the Children’s Desk. Volunteer/Community credit will be given. Open to teens in grades 6-12.
The Mineola Memorial Library also offers the following career opportunity for adults or students who are ages 15 years old or older (with working papers):
Library Page job position – the Library Page is responsible for a variety of tasks within the library, including:
- Shelving books and other library materials.
- Sorting materials on a cart efficiently in alphabetic, numeric, or alphanumeric order.
- Shelf reading, which is reading every call number of each book on a shelf to ensure that it is in the proper order.
- Shelf shifting, which is moving or relocating books on each shelf to redistribute space to areas of shelving that are in need of it.
- Blocking, which is bringing each book out to the end of the shelf, so that the entire shelf is lined up with the edge of the shelf, and all books are standing upright with a bookend placed at the end of each shelf.
- Assisting librarians with library-related programs, tasks, or projects.
The minimum qualifications are:
- Being at least 15 years old with working papers or older.
- Being able to work at least 12 hours per week, with a maximum of 16 hours per week.
- Being able to handle frequent lifting and carrying of library materials; pushing and pulling of book carts; and frequent stooping down and reaching.
- Being able to sort materials in alphabetic, numeric or alphanumeric order.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail, speed, and accuracy in carrying out duties.
- Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships.
Salary: New York State Minimum Wage
To apply for a Library Page job position, please fill out the Library Page Application and submit it to Meredith at the Children’s Desk downstairs.
For information about other volunteer opportunities outside of the Mineola Memorial Library, please see a list of organizations that have participated in our Teen Volunteer Fair:
Teen Volunteer Fair Organizations (for teens)
Volunteer Fair Handout 2014 (for adults & teens)
Volunteer Fair 2015 (for adults & teens)
For career opportunities, please see a list of organizations that have participated in our Career Fair: